Sunday 8 December 2013

Fiji: Viti Levu




20,240 km

On my last full day in Fiji I decided to take the relatively long journey half way around the island of Viti Levu from Nadi to Suva. Suva is Fiji's capitol and second largest city with a population of around 175,000. It certainly had that 'big city' feel that I don't think you really experience in Nadi.


I began my day with a really awesome open air local bus ride from my Couchsurfing hosts home to the center of Nadi, where I then boarded a bus to Suva for the picturesque journey, but don't be a trooper, go on an air-conditioned bus. The ride is around 4 hours depending on construction, animals on the road, stops in small ocean side towns and a return ticket will cost about $35 FJD(about $20 CAD). 

 
It is a ride though a landscape of rolling hills and farms and then transforms about half way into lush tropical rainforest. Have your camera ready and especially when nearing Suva for pictures of the downtown skyline and a really picturesque high cone peak in the distance. The mountains really made me yearn to hike them, but for the rainforest and lack of trails.


Once in Suva near the bus station you will notice a lot of open air markets, food stalls, fresh juice vendors, and a whole lot of hustle bustle. I immediately set out to find some unique buildings and to achieve my prime objective: see the parliament buildings, which turned out to be a little to far. I found a great deal of old British colonial and catholic inspired architecture along my walk through town. I also watched a little bit of rugby and ate some really great curries along the way... pretty authentic Fiji I think.



Along the way through downtown you will see it all, vendors on sidewalks, low budget clothing stores, gift shops laden with cheep Chinese nicknacks, and a lot of kind men out for a chat with a westerner... Be wary as nice and easy to talk to as Fijians are there are still those out to make a quick buck. At first you will be approached and made into light conversation usually, "Hello! Where are you from?" and eventually leading to them inviting you into a shop to by something... or, I assume because I was a young backpacker, I was offered drugs and wristwatches as well. Rule of thumb, you can just say goodbye at any point if your not interested.

 

Anyways, the architecture was unique and something I have never really experienced before. A pretty grand church, colonial architecture, some government buildings(that looked rather oppressive), and some other cool buildings. At the end of my time in Suva, I hit up the Suva Municipal Market near the bus station for some fresh fruit and then hopped back on the bus.



Although I did not quite make it to the Parliament and the Presidential Palace due to time constraints, I did see some cool stuff and it was a great way to spend the day. 



W











No comments:

Post a Comment