Tuesday 2 April 2013

Train Journal – Day Three

3/29/2013

9:10

Day three. Well this is getting interesting. We have just left Winnipeg and unfortunately there has been an eery fog since we entered Winnipeg, I am guessing it is coming off the big Lake Winnipeg. A lot of people have got off here and we now are not as cramped and have our original seats back

Last night was interesting enough, we picked up some food stuffs for sandwiches in the town of Mellville, Saskatchewan. Jordan and I enjoyed some tuna bun sandwiches and then watched the Big Lebowski, and the Trailer Park Boys before I dozed off.

Earlier in the night there was a Native American guy passed out in our car on the floor lying across the isle. He had no shirt on and was on the burly side and passed out conveniently with one of his hands down is pants. He must have snuck a little bottle of booze onto the train. I wish I had snapped an inconspicuous picture for the blog, it was quite the sight to behold.

We stopped in Winnipeg briefly and our friend from Hull, Frank, rescued my 9 beers from the baggage car so we will have a little something to drink tonight. Next stop, Sioux Lookout.

 

 
 


7:01

Well today has been great for all but one reason... We are in Ontario, and it is god damned good Friday, meaning it is a holiday and all liquor stores(LCBO) and Beer Stores are closed. We managed to slam back a number of beers on the train before we rolled into Sioux Lookout, ON and excited at the prospect of more, we barreled out onto the main drag of the town in search of an LCBO. When we found one it was pure shock and astonishment, I almost was on my knees Platoon style in the middle of the sunny, one horse town.

So the reality that I am back in Ontario has set in early, under the brutal regime that is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.
I have just woken up before his entry after a nice 3 hour beer and 4:20 induced nap. I ate two really shitty gas station burritos and a composite coleslaw in the common area. I am still pretty tired and feel I could pass out again.

We still have a good piece till we are in Toronto, but at least we are in Northern Ontario and the scenery has changed. We have swapped out flat soft soil fields for the rugged and diverse terrain of the Canadian Shield. 

Enjoy some of the best photos I managed to click during the journey through Northern Ontario!




Hopefully I can snap a few more picture before the sun sets, and I figure I should head back to the viewing car to try and take a few more.



W

No comments:

Post a Comment