Friday 28 December 2012

Merry Cristmas and Happy New Year

Hello everyone, Its Christmas time and I have spent a great holiday in Vancouver. It was a different Christmas this year as it was my first away from home. But my room mate and I cooked up a mean dinner and invited a couch surfer from Finland over for the festive season. Along with Skiing and a great hike in North Vancouver it has been a great week!

On Christmas eve my friend Louise and I went skiing up at Cypress Mountain. We got a ride up from someone she works with as an instructor.



Cypress Mountain is probably the best skiing that is within short distance from Vancouver. As most of you remember it was one of the venues of the 2010 Winter Olympic games and saw Canada win four gold medals. Alexandre Bilodeau, Maelle Ricker, Ashleigh McIvor and, Jasey-Jay Anderson all won gold medals at Cypress. During the Olympics they had some real troubles with snow and temperatures and at one point had to bring snow in by helicopter to continue with the events. As you will see from the pictures this year is a much better year!

We got up there bright and early for the first chair and the weather was foggy but really sunny and beautiful up at the top, great for pictures! Here are a few pictures from skiing!





On Christmas day I went and meta couch-surfer that is traveling in Canada from Finland named Lasse. I saw that Lasse would be in Vancouver during Christmas and I invited him to stay with us for a few days and have Christmas dinner and a bit of holiday cheer with us!

Here is Lasse in front of our home.

I showed Lasse My favorite bar in Gastown and we tried a few great craft brews from Canada and the States, and then we had a few drinks at our place the other nights. I showed him a Canadian Christmas drink, Egg Nog, and he showed me a very Finnish drink, Vodka and Fisherman's Friend. Despite the harsh sound of that it was actually pretty good and the Fisherman's Friend really takes Vodka taste out of the shot.


Lasse really wanted to get out and see the great outdoors and go on a hike and I was also yearning for a walk-about on my day off, so we decided to go up to the Cove Forest in North Vancouver. The area boasts a great view of the Indian Arm inlet and a really great hike along the Bowen-Powell Trail. I told a few of my other friends, Fleur (NZ) and Abra (AUS) to come along for the hike as well. 

Here are some pictures of our around 5km hike.











As for Christmas, here is a picture of our goth Christmas tree, and a picture of my awesome Christmas breakfast! Be sure to check in late in January for another update! Peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment